There’s a good reason why dogs are considered “man’s best friend.” They offer us unconditional acceptance! Even when we’re mad at them or mistreat them, they accept us–often with a wagging tale!
Now with people, that’s quite a different story. We are not nearly as accepting of others, particularly when they irritate us with their annoying habits and traits.
Do you think our pets know something we don’t?
Perhaps, if we considered the benefits of accepting others as they are, we might be more willing to try.
Five benefits of accepting people as they are.
1. It avoids resentment and dissension. Who likes being told what to do and how to be? Not me. Do you? Isn’t it really the same as being told that we are not “good enough?”
2. It brings closeness. When people know that you truly accept them, trust develops, they open up more to you, and a closer bond develops. In particular, it improves relationships with our children, our loved one, and family members.
3. You experience greater personal growth. When you accept others, your focus changes from them to you, which allows you to work on fostering your unique skills and talents as well as improving your shortcomings.
4. It enables you to let go of control and enjoy the many rewards that occur when you do.
5. You have more peace and serenity in your life from the above benefits.
I realize that accepting people’s annoying traits, idiosyncrasies and the like can be very difficult. It is important to remember, however, that accepting people as they are does not mean you have to like or condone their annoying ways, but simply that you need to accept that is the way they are and that you are powerless over changing them. So why waste all the time, energy–and serenity–trying?
Your assignment this week: Be more accepting of others!
And remember to,
Let It Go!